Custom hot ends for the Zim

I know some people need replacement nozzles and possibly hot ends. I’m experiencing an issue myself with the hot ends and my ticket into Zeepro is near 5-1/2 weeks old. The nozzles are proprietary and don’t seem to be available from anyone but a possibly now defunct Zeepro.

I have the ability to make hot ends that can use standard replacement nozzles. I still need to find the heating elements with a compatible thermistor, but I don’t see that being too much of a problem. The replacement parts have to be custom machined and could get a bit pricey for the part but if there is enough interest from users that want to be able to replace their nozzles I will make them.

Hi i am interested but it would be better to have a hot end and redesigning the nozzles to be all metal so that it can go higher temp for using abs and other filaments.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make an all metal nozzle. The heat transfer from the nozzle to the neck causes the filament to melt prematurely. My main concern with the current nozzle design is understanding why these nozzles tend to get clogged up so easily. I would like to find a way to make the “throat” of the nozzle removable so that cleaning it out when this occurs is not such an issue. On another note, the existing plastic is quite heat resistant and can withstand anything that the printer is capable of throwing at it.

I’m probably going to shift gears here shortly and work on an adapter for using standard nozzles that can fit into the existing heat block. The “throat” is still an issue but I have a few ideas I’ll be working on. I think it’s very important to be able to make this part removable.

The nozzles only tend to clogg with the weak Filament drive from Zeepro.
I had tons of cloggs before and tore through lots of nozzles.
But once I leveled the print bed perfectly (not to close and not to far), removed the cartridge system and switched to the custom printed drive that lots of people use here, only one clogg so far and that one I could solve with the “heat up and press filament out manually” method. And thats 6kg of filament and running.
Another improvement would be to switch the gear piece thats transporting the filament. I dont understand why but in comparison to all other printers I have seen, the gear misses sharp teeth. If you watch the filament of another printer, it has deep marks from the gear teeth. But I have no idea where to get another gear or how to change the gear. Maybe just switch the motor altogether.
Furthermore the nozzle can be “opened”, the plastic removed from the brass part.
The four holes are for a tool and with that you can unscrew everything. That screw holds the plastic in place.
Don’t think too complicated on this.

I thought I’d share a photo of a replacement heat block for the Zim. Fresh out of the CNC, this heat block accepts standard nozzles and utilizes a stainless steel throat with teflon liner.

This an early untested build but I don’t really anticipate any issues. I’ve made a few for myself, however as I mentioned in an earlier post if there’s enough interest I will consider making them available to you guys.

2 Likes

I am interested please

Hey that looks great!

I’m definitely interested in one or two or maybe even three!

Wow, great stuff. Kickstarter it Insomnia, personally I will definitely back you up!!! the thread of one of my heating block went bye bye when I screw the nozzle on with some gunk in it…

Thanks for the support! I should have the final assembly soon and I’ll spend some time testing it. If all goes well I’ll figure out the best way to make these available. I’m not really looking to make a profit here. The way I see it we all got screwed the same and I’m just doing my part. I don’t really have a price calculated yet, but it’s looking like somewhere in the $20-40 range after the cartridge heater, thermistor, connectors, high temp adhesive, nozzle and throat along with soldering and machine time are added up. A bigger run would definitely mean lower cost as making onesy and twosies are time consuming and expensive.

I also don’t have an exact replacement for the connectors yet but I’m trying my best to find a suitable substitute.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

Great work.
Depending on the price and shipping I would be interested as well.

Now thats a good looking project! Im in for whatever! I want to stop depending on a non existing zeepro ASAP!

I am in for 3 message me when they are ready.

Great job !
I could be interested too

So I’ve got some good news and some not so good news. The good news is that I’ve successfully tested the hot end. I still have some testing to do as I want to spend a little bit of time making sure there aren’t any longer term issues that crop up, but everything looks great so far.

The not so good news is that I have not been able to find a replacement for the connector on the cartridge heater. I have one that works well for the thermistor plug, but the cartridge heater connector (The black one with the clip) is one I can’t even identify. If I can’t find one, you guys are going to have to cut the old one off the existing heater and solder it or crimp it to the new one. If anybody can identify the connector, or knows where I can get some, please let me know as I’d really like to be able to get these out complete.

Cool stuff, Insomnia! great work!
Good news, I found some information regarding to the pin used

They are called Molex Micro-Fit 2 pin connector
Part Number: 0436450200
Official website documentation: www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/436450200_sd.pdf
Official product info: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/listview.jsp?query=43645&offset=0&filter=&fs=&npp=20&sType=s&autoNav=1&path=cCRIMPHOUSINGS%23%230%23%23h~~nf13||32&channel=Products

Found on ebay:

1 Like

Looking really good!!

Hey Insomnia, I got a message back from a Chinese manufacturer from Alibaba, he mentioned these will be 0.024USD/PCS

@winstondon, Thanks for identifying the connectors for me. Got them ordered from a US supplier.

Great! Let me know if you would like someone to chip in.