OctoPrint with OEM Hardware Tutorial (FlashNGo)

Hi @waffles and @canis_gee I am having a little trouble with my prints. The main one is that it keeps pausing and the problem is that it’s in the first layer and also in some other times in the printing process. I open the terminal and it said its a communication timeout. Do you know how can I solve it?

@maxx - sorry to see you’re having that issue. I thought it might just be my board. I mention this a few times in original post and in this thread.

“Known Issues
It seems like somewhere in the firmware, it hangs on doing M105’s occasionally. This probably happens with using raspPi as well. I’m working on the issue. Some have mentioned it could be an overheating issue. After 90 sec, it will resume printing.”

To be honest, I’m not sure if its a firmware issue or what. I’ve tried turning off all processes on the cubie board that were original, but the pausing still happens. I don’t think its a cubie issue. I’m torn between taking the latest 1.0.2-RC Marlin firmware and applying the hacked apart Zeepro mods, and trying to track it down in Jpod’s branch. I thought I might go back to 1.1.15 original and see if it still occurs, then move forward through the changes (buffer sizes and whatnot) change by change to see if i can narrow it down. It’s a bit time consuming though.

It eventually continues the print, so I havn’t been too bothered by it personaly, but I would like to track it down. I’d be curious if anyone running a pi octoprint ever sees M105 hanging?

canis’ suggestion of “M94 S700 before the print starts on the gcode option” seems to fix it, and worth a try.

@waffles ok, thanks. My main problem is that it is something not specific or measurable, it can happen in the first layer or 20 minutes later. I am only concerned when it happen in the first layer because it mess the print but thanks for the great work. I will be posting my results.

EDIT: Yes, all the pauses that it makes it’s from a M105 command (at least in my printer).

just change your usb wifi dongle, I burn my own octoprint image to the cubie board with everything default too lazy to change color and picture but everythings works fine. try putting the code M94 S700 before the print starts on the gcode option. Il post a video of mine after work.

Thanks so much for your reply waffles. My Zim is on the way. Should be here by the end of the week. I will try to use the A10 board with your 1.8.4.2 fw and leave everything genuine and stock if possible. I already got Simplify3d, so thats out of the way. How does bed leveling work on this printer.? Is it manual with a business card or whatever? Also, once I upload gcode to the printer via wifi, does my computer need to be on or once the the file is sent, it’s stored on the printer?

Question for canis_gee:
What did you do to convert your white Zim to abs? and can you please send me links to which extra fans you installed on your printer. I think I know which one the gold colored one is (http://www.ebay.com/itm/161809092813) but I dont know which black fans you have. Also, did you print mounts for these fans or ziptied?
By the way, your videos are really nice. I like your setup, with the 3 printers side by side. Amazing.

@ALi Canis_gee made a tutorial, you can check it here ZEEPRO Hardware MOD for 24/7 printing SOLUTION

The bed leveling comes in the manual and waffles added 3 buttons on the octoprint software (A,B,C) positions so you can level the bed. Once you upload the code to your octoprint you don’t need to use the computer. @waffles made a really good job, this is my first printer.

Not sur if this goes here but I’m using octoprint as described in this thread, I printed a few calibration cubes that came out well but now that I try to print something different the printer heats up, gets ready to print then cools off, but it seems that it isn’t a broken thermistor or heater cartridge, but something with the octoprint software I believe

. If anyone could help, I’d greatly appreciate it

check the terminal @David
Actually, try this -->
"Add “M84 S700” to the gcodes before printer init, or before print starts

Per canis, this is required, and will be added to the next version. but you can work around for now.

btw, new version of f/w coming soon!

1 Like

1.8.4.3 released
1.8.4.3 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B18Pfa0uHUrMdXlqNzZJOGQzQWM

Scroll to very top for release notes and install instructions!

2 Likes

Really excited to test this out over the next few days, thanks! :slight_smile:

@waffles We have to update as it was a new installation? Thanks for your work.

1 Like

@maxx - there’s nothing super serious in the new version, easier wifi setup, and a few scripts updated (that you could do yourself). Mostly I saw a lot of questions coming up out of the M84 script, and wanted to make sure folks had it by default.

If you’ve already got it working and are happy with it, 1.8.4.3 is optional. If you’re starting afresh, or having issues, try 1.8.4.3.

Thank you! 1.8.4 seems to have fixed the problem of the printer shutting of before starting a print as well as it stopping mid print.

@waffles I have 1.8.4.1 so I am thinking in updating it. So I update it as a fresh installation? Thanks

Same exact process as the other installs, I’m running 1.8.4.3

I just bought one of these. Does dual extrusion work with this?

Yes. Def works.

@etxbkst

Is stepper motor overheat a real problem? I remember seeing a thread about it with no replies, and I was wondering if that was what was causing my prints to pause then sometimes start, sometimes stay paused, this usually happens if I try and print something large, or print something in succession

My four stepper motors are getting so hot that touching them hurts, with longer exposure possibly burning my finger.
So far this heat has never had any negative effect on my prints, even on my longest 50 hour long one.
My guess is that the pausing is somewhere else.
Sadly I cannot remember it now, but we had pausing problems in the beginning and it was either wrong serial speed or something with the buffer cache.
After some digging I finally found it. It was an update for firmware 1.1.0.19:

“BLOCK_BUFFER_SIZE changed from 4 to 16 to reduce short move pauses.
Increased serial receive buffer from 4 to 8 to reduce short move pauses.”

See its serial and buffer related. Maybe try tweaking there.

I was running a seven hour print and it paused about an hour into it, when this happened I immediately opened the terminal to see the last command the printer gave. I got this:

I searched all over the web for command uOmand M1625 and couldn’t find anything. Do you know anything about this?