OctoPrint with OEM Hardware Tutorial (FlashNGo)

cool man
but how do i update the config.yaml file ( apologies for my ignorance as i have no experience in programming )

@waffles Reboot your printer a couple of times. OctoPrint is caching the old video URL (it doesn’t regenerate the pages each time you reload). Once you reboot a few times, OctoPrint should regenerate the pages, and the video should work (assuming you set it to the correct URL).

Hi! I finally got it to work… at least partially… Octoprint sais the zim - zim User-Password combination is wrong? Did you change this in your last build? — maybe i should flas the SDcard once again…

Yep
Restart & wait until it reconnects to the wifi then star octoprint & use the default Uid–zim
Pw—zim

Octoprint will do that sometimes in the beginning ,so wait for few mins & the password should work unless u changed it

Yep everything works now
prints are great …hope we can overcome the wifi disconnection issue as the printer seems to go offline sometimes

Though I have not found the time to try this yet, my guess would be that it has to do with some combination of power saving and other settings. When we switched to Raspi and Octoprint I had posted a solution for that. Please have a look and try it.

Thanks. Ill try that. I thought i checked it already and it was fine. But cant hurt to double check.

Youll know octoprint has started up enough if the title bar is blue. Octoprint as mentioned is slow to start, so refresh if bot seeing blue title bar. After that password should work. If you never see title blue, youll need to check logs and see what its failing on.

I have been trying to turn the power save off on the wifi. I ssh and us the commands:

cat /sys/module/8188eu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt “This returns a 1 showing its on”

sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf

I attempt to add the line “options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

The issue I am having is that it says I only have read access to the system If anyonr could help I think this will help the wifi hang issue

@Supah_Roach - type ‘rw’ in terminal, and that will make it read write.
then give it a try and see if it helps

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the efforts waffles and various contributors to made to make Octopi with the OEM hardware possible. I purchased two ZeePro’s from ebay with plans to go the Raspberry Pi and Octoprint route. Getting to the USB on one printer was so easy it was trivial, the other one I managed to mangle, and was not able to desolder it (one damn pin from the B connector is frozen in the though hole, I can see it under a magnifying glass, but gave up after a few hours trying to get it free). Without Waffes flash solution it would have been a 150 dollar paperweight…thanks man !

Just for clarification, the instructions to upgrade the Marlin firmware say “Make sure octoprint is disconnected!”. I presumed this meant to disconnect the printer from octoprint, or should I have shut down octoprint from the terminal ? I did get a successful update to 1.1.0.22 when I ran the M1400 command (I hope).

Thanks Again !

1 Like

just disconnect the printer from within octoprint, it can stay running. if not, octoprint keeps an open connection and things can go weird.

I really don’t get it… I have the blue title bar, but octoprint constantly sais wrong password… It worked back when you came up with your first 1.8.4.1 software, but I even can’t get this to work anymore…
As a try, I deleted the users.yaml file and set two settings in the config.yaml (from the octoprint faq). No change… I’m really feeling desperate…
Think I might make one of the simplest mistakes over and over… Btw: after flashing the NAND… You switch back to the standard Zim data card, don’t you? If I try to read this card with my pic (has drivers for ext file systems installed) it sais that the data-card was not formatted??

@J_Schmidt - that’s super weird. Yea, I havn’t seen anything close to that.
What you can try is just delete the config.yaml and the users.yaml. and when you start up octoprint, it should prompt you to create a user, or just operate without setting up a user. Maybe you can try that?

After you delete users.yaml, and change config.yaml, make sure to reboot your zim, octoprint caches config.

After flashing the nand, yes, you switch back to standard zim card. If it says the data card is not formatted and you can read ext file systems, i’d say maybe your card is bad, and you should reflash it with the zim-empty image.

maybe you can post your octoprint.log file? It might say something that would lead us in right direction.

Maybe zeepro forgot to format yours. :confused:

EDIT: if you join the discord chat, it might be easier to help you out in realtime, so you can post answers to questions and stuff. should be able to get you going pretty quick

Ok folks, think I solved the wifi timing out issue. It’s been a lot of long hours. Expect new version coming soon once I get it out for testing. Lots of new goodness in latest version! Well worth an update, even if you’re happy with older versions.

1.8.6 has been released!
Wifi issues resolved
latest octoprint
more fanciness!

lmk if there’s any issues. This one should be a keeper though, and recommended upgrade.

next up: updating from wheezy to jessie linux distro. Not much gain for common usage, but, let’s keep this in current versions!

1 Like

Have you also included the new firmware in this build?
compiling-error-solved-jpod-firmware-using-typedef-name-fpos-t-after-struct

BTW: Merry Christmas to all of you!

Yea. I fixed that in november in the octozim. Between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6, no marlin updates though.

EDIT: - So how’s this version working for everyone? Any issues, requests?

Is the empty Zim SD card image for idiots like me who accidentally formatted that master SD card in the A10?

yes it is @sflaggjr :slight_smile: