OctoPi Tutorial for Zim

So you use external power supplies? Why don’t you use the power from the zimboard?
This works perfectly and the Pi is powered on and off with the power key at the front of your ZIM.

The Octopi setup tutorial i found on this forum uses an external power supply. It had occured to me to use the power from the Zim, but I’m not sure how to go about that, exactly. There doesn’t appear to be a micro usb port on the zimboard, so I’m assuming I would have to do some soldering to make this work?

A couple of quick questions.

1. Is anyone else interested in getting Octoprint running on the Zim A10 cubieboard?
  2. Does anyone know the default ssh user and password for the zim?

1: YES, but only if it has advantages over the RasPi. The Pi itself is so cheap, the installation is easy and it runs so good that it might make little sense to switch to another board. Also, the Zim-integrated Cubieboard is not a really complete one, there are lots of connectors missing…

2: No. :cry:

I guess the main advantage is that it is already there, it’s connected and has the wifi drivers installed. I think it’s fair to say that it has all of the connections it needs. It’s probably running debian.

I’ve detailed how to get root the Cubieboard over on the jailbreak thread for anyone who’s interested.

1 Like

Hello
i was just wondering if anyone has tried running octoprint on the zim from the new pi zero?
if so how did it work?
thanks

I would guess the Pi Zero is a bit underpowered for OctoPrint, but it should run… if you add a USB hub and Wi-Fi dongle. I think I’d probably just stick with a Pi 2 though:

ok thank you i will look into it

7 posts were split to a new topic: Hey what slicer are you using?

hey,i want to ask how can i change the background picture
like you do? i try many times but all fail

@111 I just created a script for this so I don’t have to keep searching for my post above :slight_smile:

#bg.sh
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
  echo Please specify a version like ./bg.sh 1.2.13
  exit 1
else
  echo Restoring Background Image!  
  cp graph-background.png oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OctoPrint-$1-py2.7.egg/octoprint/static/img/graph-background.png
  sudo service octoprint restart
fi

Create a file called bg.sh and copy paste that into it.

Then change the permissions on the file with chmod 755 bg.sh.

Put this in the home directory. Also there add your graph-background.png file. Then every time you update octopi, just login and run the script with the version you just updated to:
pi@octopi:~$ ./bg.sh 1.2.13

I’ve been looking around for a raspberry pi 2, and 3 around the internet, but everywhere I’ve looked seems to have them for $35-$40 not including the wireless Dongle I need to buy, and in some cases the power supply. I have found something that is apparently the equivalent of a raspberry pi on aliexpress for $9-$20 dollars depending on which model you buy called the orange pi. My question is if there is anything special about the raspberry pi meaning that I have to use a raspberry pi for the octoprint tutorial or I could use an Orange Pi and simply follow the instructions the same as I would if I had a raspberry pi. Heres a link to the orange Pi I have been looking at as a substitute: $12 version, or the $20 version, Any help on which mini pc would be the best to use would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, because you know the Raspberry Pi works and is supported by many users here, it’s worth the extra $20 all day long. Here’s the Pi 3 with integrated Wi-Fi, 2 heat sinks and power supply for $40 https://amzn.com/B01C6FFNY4

That said, it may be worth trying to blaze a new trail with the Orange Pi and save future users $10-20. It appears Octoprint should run on it ok: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=594

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I bought one of the Zim’s a few months ago and am just getting around to working on it. I’m currently putting Octopi on the microsd card and then trying to boot up the pi (raspberry pi 3). The picture below is what comes up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any ideas?

So, your Octopi does not work? A failed service does not necessarily mean that your system won´t run.
To get rid of the mistake, the easiest way would be to reflash the SDCard. Although all your settings and data will be lost.
I had lots of mistakes with failed services and “Kernel Panics” when I started with Octopi, until I swapped the SDCard. I´d recommend to use a high quality SDcard, not the one that came with your printer.

got it going what settings do you guys suggest

Thanks for the reply. After reflashing the card enough times I did eventually get it to work. The problem was that on initial boot up (right after flashing it) it would get to that point and freeze. I couldn’t even login with the default username/pw to start changing stuff. I have it up and running now, but it took a lot of flashes. I’ll get a new card and replace that one asap.

I`ve got theese error messages while trying to Verify with Arduino…

any clue??

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Placa:“Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

In file included from sketch\ConfigurationStore.cpp:5:0:

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:14:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_READ_VAR(pos, value)

^

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:20:25: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_WRITE_VAR(pos, value)

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:40:0:

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:14:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_READ_VAR(pos, value)

^

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:20:25: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_WRITE_VAR(pos, value)

^

In file included from sketch\SdFile.h:27:0,

from sketch\cardreader.h:8,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:38:

SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

struct fpos_t {

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:10:0,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\stdio.h:950:33: note: ‘fpos_t’ has a previous declaration here

extension typedef long long fpos_t;

^

exit status 1
using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’