Killed the Zim !?

In the middle of a longer print with Octoprint, it just stopped.
This is from the terminal:

Send: N64295 G1 X42.613 Y42.712 E6.437290
Recv: ok
Send: N64296 G1 X43.670 Y43.769 F4200
Recv: ok
Recv:
Recv: Power off
Recv:
Recv: Oh noooo, You kill the ZIM :frowning:
Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!

Any idea what this could cause and how to prevent?

And it happened again after 4 hours.

The response you are getting is if you are sending M2002 command to the zim to shutdown. Try to look in the simplify3d scripts in process setting maybe there is a code by mistake…

Is has to do something with Octoprint. Because I slice with Simplify3D and use the G-Code with Octoprint.
Simplify3D works fine and Octoprint stops with longer prints.
But I dont want my Computer running all the time.

There is no M2002 command in the G-code files.

I operate my ZIM with a network cable running from my RaspBerry to my router and I usually unplug the network cable which runs from my network socket to the router to cut the internet communication when I’m not in my workshop.

I once unplugged the cable running from my RaspBerry to the router and the printer stopped mid-print!

-> so try to operate your RaspBerry with a cable instead of your wLan stick! :wink:

32 hours in with direct USB and Simplify3D and the heated bed and extruder heating is shut off.
The print continues but without extrusion due to cold extrusion prevention.
So I return this morning and the printer is running but does not extrude anymore.

Maybe something in the Firmware?
I guess it cannot be a setting from the Software or Slicer.

try to add the following line in /boot/config.txt
max_usb_current=1
this increases the Raspberry pi current limit for usb to 1.2A but it only works for raspberry pi b+ and raspberry pi 2.

Hope it helps

Thank you.
Once the print is finished I will try Octoprint again and add the line to config.txt.

But I fear its something in my device or firmware.
Another 4 hours in and again temperature off and print continued.

Maybe I should add some controls or checks in scripts settings “for every layer”.
Do you have any ideas?

i am thinking maybe its a raspberry pi thing try to restart it after print and see if it comes back?

At the moment I am printing without PI and directly USB and Simplify3D.

This night it ran 8 hours without problem and finished,

So it happened a few more times.
Its completely random.

From the terminal there is always one error during connect and disconnect:

“Unexpected error while reading serial port: TypeError: an integer is required @ comm.py:_readline:1323”

Its the same reason why some people (including me) have the error that a print does not start and only a reconnect starts the job.
Is it firmware or Octoprint related?
Anyone knows a fix?

I can’t help with the error, but as a data point I can tell you it doesn’t occur on my setup (times 2). I have the default serial timeouts, and have run 12+ hour prints more than once without issue. Maybe some difference in configurations is the difference. If you have the ability to hook a logic analyzer to the serial (or usb analyzer) it may became more clear. Maybe narrow it down to the Marlin side or the octopi side (perhaps run simplify3d or octoprint from a pc to eliminate the pi, but it sounds like you already did this and found it was pi related )?

What firmware are you using?
I will try flashing your version.

I have the random timeouts from Octoprint with PI and with directly Simplify3D and USB.
Sometimes after a few hours and the longest run I had was 32 hours.

Internet search did for me not reveal anything concrete.

I’m using 1.1.0.16 from my previous octopi tutorial. This is a custom build, but I didn’t change much(just dual temperature reporting).

Ok. I am using 1.0.0.16 as well, but not your modified version, but the one that Zeepro installed.
I will try to install your version and hope to improve something.

Mmm, interesting. I misspoke before, mine is 1.1.0.16 based upon the 1.1.0.15 version Ryan posted on github (I previously incorrectly said 1.0.0.16 before). Like I said , my mods were minor, but I wonder if they broke something in their 1.1.0.16 version. Is 1.1.0.16 source is available to diff against.

Anyway, good luck!

Sorry, my mistake. After looking again the terminal lists 1.0.0.15.

Anything wrong with my Serial Port Settings?

Here is a more detailed error fresh from terminal:

Unexpected error while reading serial port: TypeError: ‘an integer is required’ @ comm.py:_readline:1323
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Changing monitoring state from ‘Offline’ to ‘Opening serial port’
Connected to: Serial<id=0x21332d0, open=True>(port=’/dev/ttyACM0’, baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity=‘N’, stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from ‘Opening serial port’ to ‘Connecting’

That error indicates an invalid readline in python. Are you using a stock octopi image with out any modifications? Doesn’t explain why simplify 3d would lose connection though.

Does anything print out in the terminal just prior to the error?

No, its the latest available stock OctoPI image I used.
Sadly there is nothing before the error, because I connect or disconnect from OctoPI.

Looks like there is some good logging configuration for octoprint. You may find a log after the fact on the pi that contains the prints leading up to the failure. I’m going to play with this a bit myself to see what’s available, and I’ll let you know if anything pops out that may help debug the issue.