We Have a Community!

…but it won’t build itself.

Based on “3) Requests for and sharing of new user resources”
This seems to be the right place to get some discussion started about this online community itself, and using this new forum tool to create that sense of community and of supporting each other, which many of us had suggested in the KS comment threads.

I suggest we kick it off with any of – who Zim supporters are, why we are here, what we hope to achieve, and what we have to offer to others. Not to take that as any list of “must answer” questions, but just as a guide to the kinds of information I think may help us open up to one another…

Now I’ll introduce myself in a comment

I’m a senior software engineer, though “between” consulting gigs right now. I also dabble in a lot of hobbies, most of them related to mechanics and toys. The lead for me lately is modifying foam dart blasters – “Nerf Guns” – though we try to stay away from the word “gun.” I see 3D printing as a way to make new parts, certainly replacements and repairs, but also original modifications. Eventually perhaps whole designs. There are already a handful of nerf enthusiasts selling parts made through additive manufacturing, and I’d like to join them. With some ideas of my own.

I don’t presently know how to use even sketch up to make design files. I’m more of a T-square and pencil designer, or simply scrawl comical versions on a whiteboard until I’m pretty sure they would work. Then I make them from scratch, using stuff like my tiny lathe and a scroll saw. I also got pretty interested in a software kickstarter, MakeVR, which was cancelled for revision based on community input.

I also have been hoping for a Zim community to suggest software options and show me how I might help others. I’ve been on the internet since the 80s, when USENET was the main way folks all across the world shared common interests and built communities of mutual support.

Great idea @obob! It definitely helps to know what our collective capabilities are… I know somewhere in the bunch we must have some 3D printer pros. But I suspect we’ll also have a fair share of newbies to the 3D printing world… like me.

In my day job I’m a senior embedded electronic firmware and hardware design engineer for medical, military and mobility electronics. I’ve been doing this for the last 20 years. When I’m not at work, I’m head down in more electronics hobbies… I can’t seem to get enough of it :smile: For the last year I’ve been working hard in my spare time to contribute on the Spark Core forums in any way I can. I regularly contribute to porting code, creating examples, tutorials, troubleshooting, etc… My github acct is usually updating with cool new libraries for the Spark Core. One of these days soon I’ll kick off my electronics business Technobly with some real products. My current idols are Sparkfun, Adafruit and Spark. I love prototyping with the Arduino, Spark Core and I make products using Microchip PICs and Atmel microcontrollers. I currently use a ton of different software packages routinely: OrCad Capture/Layout, Eagle CAD Schem/Layout, Photoshop CS6, CorelDRAW X6, Google Sketchup, Chrome, Sublime Text 2, ShareX 8.7.1, Node.js are some of the highlights. I just got a new work laptop and it’s pretty rad, ASUS G750JX with 256GB SSD. I’m working on slowly and precisely installing Win8.1 the right way with all drivers from scratch this weekend. I like all kinds of music, including the latest mind numbing Dubstep tracks, excluding Country :wink: Long walks on the beach are few and far between since I live near Chicago, IL USA.

I’ve always been able to create project boxes and mechanical things by hand for my electronic projects… but I’ve felt for a long time now that I need to get a 3D printer to take my Making skills to the next level. I can create most aspects of a product in my basement lab, except for the enclosure… and it would sure be nice to have the capability to fix a broken piece from something, or create a “nice” solution to a problem that requires a physical part. I’m hoping the Zim is every bit as awexome as it looks and I can’t wait to get started printing!

Hey all,
Here is my linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/pub/winston-kuantung-wang/33/415/547

I am pretty new to 3D printing, my brother and I co-owned a Up printer, but I lost it in a divorce. He did most of the printing for his Startup. But ya, in short, I am a mechanical engineer that specialize in MEMS and microfludics.
Last week there was good deal on Zim ZeePro which was on sale for few hundred dollars on cragslist! So i thought I would pick it up.
An insider sold me this printer, I got a feeling that this Zim I have is a prototyping printer. It is got issues that seems like most people don’t encounter. ( z-axis stepper motor stuck at higher speed (5mm/s), i checked the V_ref on the motor drive, it seems to have the correct value (250mV))
So far it have been putting up it’s middle finger at me, but I am patient and determined to make it work :smile: Wish me luck!
If you guys have time to check out my post about the print problem I have that would be great :smile:

Take it easy~

Ello everybody, I’m James Manley,

I work full time as a Solidworks Draftsmen, specifically working on designing cutting tools for CNC lathes. I also go to school part time working towards a mechanical engineering degree. And any time not taken with sleep goes towards my maker hobbies.

I’ve been one of the few who had good success with the Zim. It has amazing quality (when its working) and the remote access has been a great benefit to have had. I’ve had it at the local makerspace for guests to use and show it off.

I’m currently working on doing some reverse engineering for the zim. If there is enough support behind it, I may do a kickstarter to try and get our retrofit parts made for us all.

Cool, stuff tookys! good luck, keep us posted :slight_smile: