What's going on with these prints :D?

Hey Ladies and gentlemen,
Got the Zim to spit up something Woot woot!

Here are the results…
First layer looks nice…

What happened here? :< Looks like the 2nd layer started at a higher place than desired :smiley:

waffle cones anyone?

Is this a result of nozzle clog/jam that everyone been mentioning?

Some pointers will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks all!

That doesn’t look like a nozzle problem. What printing profile and temperatures are you using? It looks like not much adhesion between layers, and that first layer might be a little too high off the build platform. I’ve had the best luck with 195c on first layer, 185c on subsequent layers, but this is filament dependent. Also the first layer is key. It does best when I sort of squish the first layer against the bed, not flat, but also not round like yours. There’s more going on in your picture though.

If you send the model, I’d be happy to try it here. Sometimes the model itself will cause the slicer to generate gcode that skips layers.

Hey jpod!
Thanks so much for your feedback. I am eternal grateful!
Let me show you the back side of the rectangular print.

The nozzle did look awful high when it was printing the sub-sequence layers… the melted PLA wasn’t squashed down to their neighbors. They were kind of like noodles, kind of just fall on top of each other with gravity… (looking closely, you can tell the width of each strong are not very consistent too). :frowning:

These parts can be found here (an part that is often printed to test your 3d printer) and here (one of the part from Ins0mnia’s mod to make spool attachments).

the square shaped was printed with Pronterface and Slic3r via usb connection, where I could tune the G-code to make the z axis velocity lower than 4mm/s ( my z motor chokes at 5mm/s)
These are the parameters.

the rectangular shape was printed with ZeePro’s online interface at default everything except temperature of (190 first layer, and 180 on other layers)

Again, thanks so much for looking into this, I wish I could buy you some beer or coffee :smile: (if your local to me, I am down)

Best,

I tried the retraction test (four_square_cons), but I do not have the ability to setup the exact same slic3r settings due to the Zim interface. Namely the retraction options are missing. I just used the “standard” setting preset and gave it a go.

One thing I noticed is the Zim presets don’t even allow setting the layer height above 0.2mm so maybe layer height is partially to blame (though hard to believe 0.05mm would make any difference). The above was using 0.1mm later height.

Since your Zim seems to be having issues moving the z-axis, I’d look there first. It almost sounds like something is binding if it won’t move at 5mm/s. Perhaps it is a stepper setting for half-steps or something (I’m not familiar with pronterface). I tried some different speed settings on mine, and it only ever moves at 5mm/s (regardless of the Zeepro UI… I set to 30mm/s and then measured with a stopwatch and caliper :stuck_out_tongue: and it moved at 5mm/s, yay). Still it seems smooth and doesn’t bind or make stepper skipping sorts of sounds.

I think getting your settings figured out is going to be useful to all of us. We may all want to move away from the now dreadfully doggy Zeepro cloud towards a more open solution like pronterface, OctoPrint, etc. Zeepro servers are not going to be getting any better I suspect, and may disappear altogether shortly. I was thinking of giving OctoPrint a try myself to see how that goes.

Wah ! these are nice prints :open_mouth:
I will give the settings (higher temperature, lowering the layer height) a try today.
And will post when I am on to something :smile:
Thank you sir!

Tried it again today with your suggestion jpod.
Here is how it looks.

Pretty much the same… First layer looks nice, but the layer on top of the first have the nozzle too high again.
I will be meeting up with a friend that might have some parts for this printer. Hopefully replacing the board would help. Will keep u guys posted.

Hey guys, Great news, I am back in the game. :smiley:
Got a salvaged unit and salvaged it’s driver board. and whala… everything seems to be working normal now for the first time!!

Thank you jpod! :wink:

Looking good! Glad to hear you got it going.