Troubleshooting the Zim, Guide

Hello Everyone.

I’m preparing a guide on how to fix some of the most common and some uncommon problems with the zim. I was one of the first to receive a zim and have spent countless hours working on this machine and understanding its issues. The guide is a work in progress, however I hope to continue writing and adding additional information on fixes and tweaks. The Zim is a good printer, but I understand better than most how frustrating it can be at times and I hope to help those of you still experiencing problems get up and printing once and for all.

The guide is located at http://zim3d.tumblr.com/

If anything isn’t clear, please feel free to comment and I’ll do my best to clarify. I’ll try to add some photographs to help with clarity in the future.

06/14/2015 - The Guide has been updated.

If anyone wishes to contribute to the Guide, please email zim3d@outlook.com with text, images and the name, or nik you want to be credited. Thanks!

06/21/2015 - Updated

2 Likes

Great idea Insomnia. Thanks for taking the time to put this information together. I have a couple of my own experiences to share, for what it is worth. It is hard to say how common some of these issues are, and how many were corrected since us early adopters.

I’ve had my Zim since early November, and also encountered a lot of the same issues you mentioned. Biggest being the filament feed as you eluded to in your guide. I did have two of the original factory cartridges jam, but I may attribute this to poor quality early on. One of them I carefully pried open and the little black o-ring wasn’t even in there. Also the cartridges have all been cracking, undoubtedly due to the spring adjustment you mention being incorrect from the factory. The printer has worked pretty flawlessly since nixing the cartridge mechanism though, plus I like using the big rolls. I don’t think I’ll be going back :smile:

I’ve also had issues with soldered components. The thermocouple leads on one extruder just fell off, the heatshrink was the only thing holding it together.

I’ve had leaking nozzles. Apparently some of them were not assembled properly at the factory and could leak from the top side of the heater block. Zeepro was aware of this issue, as soon as I sent a picture of the leaking goo all over the block and fan shroud they confirmed it and sent me a new assembly. The new one has not leaked a drop.

I’ve also had a number of jams inside the heat sink area of the extruder. One cause I found is that slightly bent filament can come out of the teflon tube and mis-align when feeding through the extruder feed gear, and ends up going into the cavity in the heat sink instead of the top of the nozzle. Keeping the intial filament straight when starting a new spool solved this problem for me. Another I encountered was having a blob of plastic on the end of the filament jam up during the unload process, not allowing the filament to feed back out the teflon tube. For this I remove the teflon tubing and take the teflon tube lock out, and can usually clear out the problem without taking the head apart.

A final issue I’ve had is having the z-axis go crazy mid print and move the platform more than a single layer, enough that the nozzle is printing in mid air. I’ve had this happen twice now. It never happened on my own models, and I’ve traced it back to bad models from Thingiverse. The slicer appears to not detect these faulty models, and creates bogus g-code that is doomed to failure. Logically, this would seem like an easy thing to detect in software, since it is apparent the z-axis is moving multiple layers before attempting to print anything. I think they err on the side of model correctness however, and therefore allow the g-code to run, even if it is a bit suspect coming out of the slicer.

So far I’d say the printer works pretty well once I learned the little things to avoid though. I’ve certainly been happy, even impressed at times, with the quality this printer has been able to achieve. I think your guide will really help users achieve the printer’s full potential.

One other recent issue I had with feeding : 2 of the screws tightening the upper stepper motors to the aluminium “head” getting loose. Not the outter screws, but the two on the vertical side of the head accessible only when you have dissassemble the head. Feeding was impossible, there was some unusal noise coming from the head.

Thanks for the great comments guys, keep em comming. I have quite a bit more to add to the guide in the coming days.

@jpod, sadly, I’ve experienced most if not all of the issues you’ve listed. I’ll be covering most of them in the coming days.

@Seb, I’ve had issues with these screws on both the beta printer, and the replacement. However, in my case the screws were not merely loose, they were actually too long for the houseing. When the assembler tightened them, they stayed tight, but because they were too long, it left clearance between the stepper motor and the housing. This is one of the more complex issues I mentioned in part one and I’m on the fence about whether or not to cover the repair for this issue in the guide. It involves fully disassembling the print head and I don’t want people to get in over their heads. On the other hand, the only way to positively identify the problem is to do the disassembly. I’ll probably end up covering the issue with a warning recommending that people who think they might have this issue contact Zeepro first.

Great idea.
There is so many issues with this printer that have to be adressed and properly presented a solution.
What is the method to add to the guide?
Please add some categories and some method of navigation.
Pictures and videos are important.

And most important seems to me, that after solving or circumventing most of the big problems, we should add and maintain a Tips & Tricks section for improving and perfecting printing results.

If anyone wishes to contribute to the guide, I’ve setup an email address zim3d@outlook.com. Just send in your text and photos and I’ll add them to the guide. Please be sure to include your name, or nik name that you’d like to be referred to. Please try and provide visual indicators (where needed) on any photos you might be providing so as to reference the part being discussed. Please try to avoid covering issues that have already been referenced. If you have anything to add to an issue that’s already been explained, please submit your ideas separately.

Last, please be positive in your explanations. Try to avoid crticisms that are not constructive. Remember that the issues exist and we can’t go back and undo them. We can only move forward from here and hope that Zeepro hears us. I am the editor of the guide and I reserve the right to omit, add or edit where necessary.

I think if we all work together we can really help our fellow zeeproers get their printers up and working once and for all.

Thank You!

It is not a troubleshooting post but i have just seen Zeepro did a documentation about presets :
It could help to get better prints result

http://zimsupport.zeepro.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634197-how-to-modify-the-slicer-presets-

I have a problem with mine where when it tries to print it would make a clicking noise. I can’t retract or extrude due to this problem. I checked the small gear that inserts the PLA into the plastic tube from the carriage and that isn’t the problem. The clicking noise is definitely coming from the print head. I’m not very experienced with my printer, I’ve made a few things but not enough to solve this problem on my own. Despite the fact that I’m a kid, (a few months to a teenager) I think I understand this kind of thing well once I’ve had someone explain it to me. So if anyone has any ideas, please share.

Hey @Keogan, I’d suggest starting a new thread so that the focus is entirely on your issue.

If you are referring to the where the PLA is fed down at the very bottom of the Zim, where the Zim-branded cartridges go, there’s another stepper motor with an extruder gear just before the hotend.

No, it isn’t the motor at the bottom of the zim. The sound is definitely coming from the print head