Printing with ABS fails

Hi,
after a couple of prints with the Zeepro ABS filament, all results failed.

Every print has severe warping, layers not sticking together, even with thin 1mm walls.

I tried the 3M blue tape, hairspray, purple glue pen that was delivered with the Zim.
But it simply does not stick very well.
Small objects detach after a few layers and clog the printhead.

How can I improve sticking of print bed?
How can I add a broader base to the printing object so that it sticks better and warps less?
What is the best temperature for the ABS of Zeepro?
Why do the layers not stick together?

My white filament cartridge is with 180degrees and the green filament cartridge is with 230 degrees. Is this normal for different colors to have different temperatures?

You can find below everything ypou may need to succeed with ABS

Still no luck. I tried applying hairspray, other types of glue pen or even spray glue.
But after some layers warping starts and nothing can stop it.

Kapton/PET Tape I have to try last but feel that will have not much success either.

Now I am doing a print on double sided tape. Yes it sticks. But I think I will never get it off again.

This is so frustrating. I cannot believe that I seem to be the only one having these severe problems.
Everything I print fails.

What tricks do you use with your Zim and ABS?
What temperature are you printing with?

The warping even peeled off the double sided tape.
Now I really am out of clues.

Wait for the heated bed and all those problems should disappear…

One thing you can try : printing with a brim and a skirt.

Hm, ok.
But other people are printing loads of stuff. What did they do?

I have not found any brim option. Is there one?
What is the easiest method to add a brim to my prints?

Yes there is an option when you define yourr own printing parameters. Should be labelled something like “brim and skirt”, I can’ tell you in english what it’s exactly named in the zim interface : as I’m french so is my zim :slight_smile:

Excerpt from http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Slic3r :

“Brim width: The amount of brim that will be drawn around each object. this is useful to ensure that parts stay affixed to the bed.”

I’ve printed a lot of stuff, but I’ve been printing exclusively PLA until the heated bed arrives. I’ve got a big spool of ABS just waiting. :smile:

I gave up ABS and switched to PLA.

I have read several people writing that they had trouble removing their printed results and are looking for ways to reduce sticking. I have bought so many of those stuff supposedly sticking like hell and on my Zim acting like teflon with water…I dont get it.
I even printed the “The_thing_that_will_get_stuck_to_your_build_surface_forever” from thingiverse. It would be laughable if it wherent so sad, that with the warping it doesnt stay flat and does not stick.
PLA didnt stick either.
But with my double sided tape I get at least some results.

Maybe for others that have the same problems, here is what partially worked for me:

• turning on a brim with 10mm was one of the best tips (thanks Seb for showing me how to turn Brim on)
  • roughening the overpriced blue 3M tape with 60 grain sand paper had some positive effect
  • using strong sticking double sided tape gives better results as well (the glue melts so the piece is easily removable and the little glue left on the piece can be removed with paint thinner or something similar)

I haven’t even tried ABS yet. I’m waiting for the heated bed before I even try. It seems my assumption that a heated bed is necessary for printing with ABS is correct.

Try the blue tape… it changed my life. I’m picking up the heated bed for sure as well, but the tape at least gave far better adhesion than the glass deck.

Thanks for the reply.
I bought the pretty expensive 3M Blue Tape. But without roughening the surface with sand paper it does not stick at all.
Its more like anti stick.
Now PLA sticks a little bit but once I try bigger objects or anything with warping it does not stick well enough to stop warping.

I bought myself a durable printing mat now that claims to be magic with PLA and ABS. Its from a local german producer. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival :smile:

The only thing I wonder is how I can readjust the Z stop if I add the printing plate on top. Like a +2mm for Z.
Is that possible?

Hi!
So, what is your experience with your new “magic” printing mat?
Does it improve your printing?
For your question with the additional 2mm on top: Just turn the screws that hold the printplate 2mm more in… I have also tried different additional sheets on the glass using this method.
And I really hope that those heated beds will be available soon…

The “magic” printing mat probably was a waste of money. But I have not tested it yet.
I believe it will be a great material to print on and other great advantages. But there is one major disadvantage: its not level and never will be. Its a 1mm thick plastic material and will never be able to be flat in 0.05mm tolerance. Right now i can see several mm difference just by looking at it.

So next I am building my own heated printbed. I have ordered all the parts and once they have arrived and I could get it set up, I can tell you more.
I dont expect the official heatbed to be available soon.