OctoPrint with OEM Hardware Tutorial (FlashNGo)

Okay… REAL Noobie question:
M105 asks for the Temperatures of the Hotends and the Bed, Doesn´t it?
ZIM Has a special command M1402 for the same task… Maybe they added the special Command for a reason???
I think it would be woth a try? Sorry, but I don´t know anything about coding… So one of you guys would have to test it…

@J_Schmidt - They added it because,at the time, marlin didn’t support multiple hot ends.
It’s a hack by the zeepro guys, and its completely unsupported by octoprint.
but i think we’ve got the M105 sorted now
@driph - weird, if i run iwconfig, i see Power Management:off, and that should be default on zim. Is there another power management setting? Mine doesn’t seem to go to sleep like that.

1 Like

accidentally cut one of the connectors leading between the boards while taking out my bottom motors, but i managed to solder it back together haha (not even sure what that wire was for)

does the zim need to be connected from a computer for prints to run? like once i upload the file to octoprint and hit start, can i turn off my computer and walk away?

every so often mine also does some really wonky stuttery motions, but so far it hasn’t affected my print (second benchy came out really nicely on a raft), i’ve been slicing in cura 2.something

i’m also on .4 and my last print ran for 2.5 hours or so, will try .5 when i get home

is there any interest in starting a discord channel for group chat? :smile:

@WenboDou - yes, you can turn off your computer, once its going on octoprint, it’ll just do its thing. that’s part of the main inspiration for octoprint to begin with. pc’s do other things, and making it self contained is more reliable.

As for your stuttery issues, a video would help? I’m down for discord chat, this thread is getting kinda long, and is kinda a bed of related/unrelated issues. That or I think there’s a zim wiki floating around (or should be one), so we can keep things a bit better organized.

I would appreciate a Discord channel, to prevent our discussion from clogging this forum.

it is done!

@waffles - yeah that’s what i figured, i was just too paranoid i guess lol … was halfway through a benchy print at like 3 am and was like hmm let’s not bother it

Nice, I’ll join! One thing I do ask, is that when new workarounds or resolutions to interesting problems are discovered, be sure to post a thread here on the forums for those that encounter the same issues in the future.

@waffles Ahh, I wonder if wifi is crashing then. As no one else here has said anything about it, maybe it’s an issue with the dongle on my board? At least it’s sitting near the router, so plugging the printer in isn’t a problem while I troubleshoot it.

@ALi Plugins are here: http://plugins.octoprint.org/help/installation/
Automatic Shutdown adds a checkbox to shutdown the printer once your print is complete. I was already ssh’d into the box and writing to things while I installed them, but using the “Install from URL” method as described in the link above is the easiest method. For further discussion of Octoprint plugins, I’d recommend starting a new thread to keep this one on topic.

Sorry, but I’m lost. Apparently 1.8.5 fixes the temperature problem but I need to install some other firmware? Is that true?

Also, the PlugIn function doesn’t seem to work for me. I get the message “Sadly the repository is currently not available”

What am I missing?

1.8.5 fixes the print hanging issue, and includes the firmware that fixes the temp dual display. Sadly the part that broke print hanging was integral to auto updating. It checks if firmware is up to date, and updates it for you if it is not. Since making the connection to check if f/w is up to date requires use of the serial connection you may be using, and i dont want it to auto update your firmware on every boot… you have to do it manually for now. This should be a one time thing, as once the firmware is updated to this, there’s not likely to be many more fixes in the future.

the directions are there, and the firmware is on your cubieboard, you just need to install it once.

And, I just checked plugins, and installed ‘AutomaticShutdown’ and it worked for me. Per the instructions, remember you need to SSH to zim, and set it readwrite before installing plugins. If folks would prefer, i can add a RW button back on the main zim landing page, but SSH only takes but a second. I didnt try install from url, but just browsed the plugin repository, so i dunno. Anyone else having trouble with it?

Thanks for all your help.

So, I installed the new image and I was able to set RW mode and install plugins and everything, but I still only get one temperature report. I assume that’s because I didn’t do anything about installing firmware because I don’t know where that is or how to do it.

Is there a discussion on that somewhere?

Thanks!

@Scherle, it’s this part of the instructions above:

Update Firmware

If you’re on windows, get PuTTY, its free, else if OSX/linux, just use the terminal:

1. ssh to the box (ssh root@zim.local, user: root, pass: Longgang2014)
  2. Make sure octoprint is disconnected!
  3. run “/usr/bin/fw-upgraded.sh”
  4. That’s it! It’ll blink and stuff, and should say successful! Verify with Octoprint, run M1400, it should say 1.1.0.22

(as you were able to install plugins, I’m assuming that you were able to ssh into the box successfully in order to set rw)

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks. Don’t know how I missed that.

And, of course, it works perfectly. Very happy.

Thank you for all the info! But I ran into a problem:
The Zim.local page works, but I can’t reach octoprint. Neither the button nor the Zim.local:5000 nor the IP:5000 works… Is there anything that I could do wrong? Firefox and IE both say “page can not be displayed” (okay, they say “Seite kann nicht angezeigt werden”. I don’t know if the warning is exactly like… what I translated)

are you using wifi? if so, did you configure it to connect to your network?

i think i could get to the zim.local:5000 link over ethernet by following the instructions step by step

I use a wired connection.

The same with a original cubieboard

Did you try giving it a few minutes? It is slow to start up.

Can try sshing in and see if octo is running
ps aux | grep octo

Gives back:
root 4506 0.0 0.0 1600 556 pts/1 S+ 20:51 0:00 grep octo

Well huh. Octoprint isnt running.

Try
/etc/init.d/octoprint start

But on reboot it should start anyway

You can check logs in mebe /config/oprint/logs or something and see why it didnt start

:cry: It refuses to work. Started the octoprint daemon with the command you gave me (said [OK] Starting Octoprint Daemon: Octoprint)
But the octoprint UI doesn’t’ load.
The funny thing is, one of your earlier versions (I think it was the second) worked! I´ll retry that one…