OctoPi Tutorial for Zim

I would guess the Pi Zero is a bit underpowered for OctoPrint, but it should run… if you add a USB hub and Wi-Fi dongle. I think I’d probably just stick with a Pi 2 though:

ok thank you i will look into it

7 posts were split to a new topic: Hey what slicer are you using?

hey,i want to ask how can i change the background picture
like you do? i try many times but all fail

@111 I just created a script for this so I don’t have to keep searching for my post above :slight_smile:

#bg.sh
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
  echo Please specify a version like ./bg.sh 1.2.13
  exit 1
else
  echo Restoring Background Image!  
  cp graph-background.png oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OctoPrint-$1-py2.7.egg/octoprint/static/img/graph-background.png
  sudo service octoprint restart
fi

Create a file called bg.sh and copy paste that into it.

Then change the permissions on the file with chmod 755 bg.sh.

Put this in the home directory. Also there add your graph-background.png file. Then every time you update octopi, just login and run the script with the version you just updated to:
pi@octopi:~$ ./bg.sh 1.2.13

I’ve been looking around for a raspberry pi 2, and 3 around the internet, but everywhere I’ve looked seems to have them for $35-$40 not including the wireless Dongle I need to buy, and in some cases the power supply. I have found something that is apparently the equivalent of a raspberry pi on aliexpress for $9-$20 dollars depending on which model you buy called the orange pi. My question is if there is anything special about the raspberry pi meaning that I have to use a raspberry pi for the octoprint tutorial or I could use an Orange Pi and simply follow the instructions the same as I would if I had a raspberry pi. Heres a link to the orange Pi I have been looking at as a substitute: $12 version, or the $20 version, Any help on which mini pc would be the best to use would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, because you know the Raspberry Pi works and is supported by many users here, it’s worth the extra $20 all day long. Here’s the Pi 3 with integrated Wi-Fi, 2 heat sinks and power supply for $40 https://amzn.com/B01C6FFNY4

That said, it may be worth trying to blaze a new trail with the Orange Pi and save future users $10-20. It appears Octoprint should run on it ok: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=594

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I bought one of the Zim’s a few months ago and am just getting around to working on it. I’m currently putting Octopi on the microsd card and then trying to boot up the pi (raspberry pi 3). The picture below is what comes up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any ideas?

So, your Octopi does not work? A failed service does not necessarily mean that your system won´t run.
To get rid of the mistake, the easiest way would be to reflash the SDCard. Although all your settings and data will be lost.
I had lots of mistakes with failed services and “Kernel Panics” when I started with Octopi, until I swapped the SDCard. I´d recommend to use a high quality SDcard, not the one that came with your printer.

got it going what settings do you guys suggest

Thanks for the reply. After reflashing the card enough times I did eventually get it to work. The problem was that on initial boot up (right after flashing it) it would get to that point and freeze. I couldn’t even login with the default username/pw to start changing stuff. I have it up and running now, but it took a lot of flashes. I’ll get a new card and replace that one asap.

I`ve got theese error messages while trying to Verify with Arduino…

any clue??

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Placa:“Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

In file included from sketch\ConfigurationStore.cpp:5:0:

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:14:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_READ_VAR(pos, value)

^

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:20:25: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_WRITE_VAR(pos, value)

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:40:0:

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:14:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_READ_VAR(pos, value)

^

sketch\ConfigurationStore.h:20:25: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive

#ifndef EEPROM_WRITE_VAR(pos, value)

^

In file included from sketch\SdFile.h:27:0,

from sketch\cardreader.h:8,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:38:

SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

struct fpos_t {

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:10:0,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\stdio.h:950:33: note: ‘fpos_t’ has a previous declaration here

extension typedef long long fpos_t;

^

exit status 1
using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

I think I had an issue similar to this in the past. Have you tried using an older build of Arduino? Pretty sure that was what I did to make this work.

not yet…

i tryed other ways, but now i`m stucked!!!

i`ve found several firmwares versions on the forum from guys like @Jaesin, @waffles, @J_Schmidt and @KingMartin

Versions 1.84, and 1.86, on .img (image files)format.

then i used an .bin to .hex converter sotware ( HxD) so i could open the image files and convert them to 32-bits Intel Hexa format, supposed to be (as i understand, very little btw) firmware format.

Using the UltimakerCura ive uploaded the converted .hex file and used the tool> update fimware (first tryed the waffles 1.86 version) and it seemed to work. At least i`ve got the message> Firmware Uploaded! on the Cura screen!!!

however, the Zim stopped working, and when powered on, the Power button seems to be ddead, no lights on it, nor green, nor red!!!

Does anyone have a solution???

also, previously, i had used the Win32DiskImager to write the .img files to de microSD card that comes in the A20 Board, with no succes…still, that image is on the SDcard at the current time. is that an issue??

Help Guys!!!

Doc,

Since I just did this I will try to help. Sounds like you left the micro sd card in the printer after the upload. That may be your issue. After flashing a DIFFERENT Micro sd than the one in the zim, put it in the flashed sd, wait almost exactly 7 minutes. I was going to wait 10 just to be safe, but it is really obvious when it is done. Then put the original micro sd back in. Then you have an octozim! Level the bed and start printing!

Hope this helps

Actually you aren’t quite done, but most of the way there. It is spelled out really clearly in the octoprint with OEM hardware post. Upgrade the firmware and then you are done. The only thing that had me confused for a moment on uploading the firmware from the command line was making sure to log into octoprint and disconnect from the printer (there is a button on the left side to disconnect). Then in the command line run the script and you are all set.

txs for your reply, buhao

perhaps my issue is due to the fact i`m not using Octoprint.

I was using RepetierHost with the original ZIM. After that, i`ve installed CuraSlicer apart, the last version from the website, and using the tool inside the CuraSlicer to upgrade firmware via USB cable.

ill try again, this time with no SDcard on the slot, however, if an other help, id appreciate a LOT!!!

just wondering what happend to all the videos that where on youtube?. im trying to download some custom controls and i need to know

“Please define the maximum speed/feedrate of the individual axes and whether their control should be inverted or not.
X
mm/min Invert control
Y
mm/min Invert control” i cannot for the life of me remeber

anyone still here???

1 Like