OctoPi Tutorial for Zim

Hey, I found this github repo where a 3d printer owner of a craftbot printer created a python script for Octopi to prevent the extruders from turning off while heating up if it took too long to heat them up to your targeted temp. I haven’t tried/tested it but something to look into.

I know a few of us are frustrated that it shuts down on us when heating up the print head.

From what i quickly gathered is that it simply queries for temp. and sets it again. I do that manually now.

github repo: https://github.com/krisp/staywarm

Okay this is strange:
Two weeks ago @Darki88 contacted me via PM with some issues with his ZIM, including one problem with his heaters. He wasn’t able to heat up his second extruder from the UI, although everything seemed to be configured correctly. At some point I wasn’t able to help him.
Yesterday, I got a new SD card, re-downloaded octoprint, and installed it on my new card. And from that moment… I’m not able to heat up my second extruder from the UI anymore… Any Ideas?

What the Fu**k? Today, I started up my ZIM and the issue is gone…?! :grin:
Thats cool, but on the other hand, I don´t know what caused the issue and what was the solution.

I added some special ZIM M-codes to the G-Code handbook… Here´s the link.
http://1drv.ms/1OfdHEI

This item might not exist or is no longer available

Could you please check on that?

Okay… strange… here we go:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B2A53EE4BB8C1B66!2150&authkey=!ALQ26QgJkpsGmf8&ithint=file%2Cpdf

or

http://1drv.ms/1ZcHrXO

I´ll open an extra thread for that.

EDIT: The new link can be found HERE

1 Like

Hey guys! It’s been quiet around here for a while…
my today’s question is:
is it possible to set travel speeds for each axis independenty? Becuse when i slice with cura, the first move is set to {travel_speed}, and that seems to be too fast for my Z-axis. It makes strange wiou-wiou-wiou sounds probably of a too high speed setting.
Can the max speed if the axis been set in the firmware at all, or do I have to dig around in cura? I haven’t found an adequate setting in cura so far…

Yes you can.
See the configuration.h at Marlin and look for:

define HOMING_FEEDRATE
define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE
define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION

Here you get the latest Firmware (adapted by @jpod - thank you by the way for that!!)

Thanks, but that´s not exactly what I wanted. My problem seems to be that the Z axis has a significantly lower max speed than the others. So when Cura gives a command like G1 X… Y… Z… {travel speed}, the printer seems to try to travel at the speed of the X or Y axis (about 12000mm/min). That is way too much for the Z axis (about 600mm/min), that begins to travel in slow “hops” making an awful Wiou-wiou-wiou-sound. At least, ti seems not to loose steps while doing that, because the positions is always right. Is there a way to independendly set the Z speed from the X/Y speed?

I had some time last night. And normally I have strange ideas when having free time :smile:

It is a pain to see my beautiful ZIM with loose wires coming out of the back, and knowing that I have to open the case remove the network cable (W-Lan is too weak in my basement).
So I ordered some pigtail connectors some time ago and last night was the night to install them:

Mark the new cut-outs:

Installed the pigtails:

Happy:

Some matte black color for the cut edges, and that´s all.
And in near future, it´ll get a keyboard, mouse and a display :smile:

OOPS: This is in the software-category… sorry

1 Like

Hey, that looks great!

I think I have a problem when heating the nozzle before printing. Each time, the printer (well, OctoPi) stops the process because of the timeout (even set to 600 sec). The temperature raises quickly then slow down at around 170°C. Then progression of the temperature raising becomes slow as hell.

When I’m using Jpod script to load and unload filament, I don’t have this issue where the temperature goes far higher. But if I’m not wrong, the difference is the second fan in the ZIM head which starts when launching a print, and not when launching a filament load/unload.

Does anyone know if the second fan running is the cause?

And FYI, I’m using Simplify 3D as a slicer.

Thanks!

The second fan might cause this behaviour.
In my ZIM, the fan duct was deformed from the heat radiation of the hotends, so that there were big gaps between the two parts. When the second fan started, it cooled down my hotends.
I closed the gaps with epoxy and the problem was solved until I got my heatbed. That melted the cooler outlets completely, so I removed the funnel completely, including the second fan. Printing still works.

Try the M303 command to calibrate the energy of your hotends: Tom´s Hardware (Marlin´s PID Autotune)

@Totyo, Sounds like the second fan running is the cause. 100% it will likely never reach temperature. Anything over 50% is usually too much. See this post on how the fan affects
temperature: Zeepro temperature PID values too conservative? Fan design is part of the problem

You do not want the fan running when heating or laying down the first layer. Simplify3d allows you to specify fan speed on a layer-by-layer basis. Just set the fan to 0 on the first layer (and remove any custom fan gcode in your startup as well).

@jpod : thank you very much for your reply, removing the fan on 1st layer did the trick. I have been able to successfully print a basic cube, which is a great first step. Now I need to fix a problem of offset between the skirt, raft and model that I have on another test model :smile:

@J_Schmidt : thank you for your help as well!!

I have some extra questions about the OctoPrint / Zim. I can open a new thread if it doesn’t fit this thread.

1. Does a G-ode exist to clean the nozzle just before the beginning of the print? On the Makerbot, it prints a 15cm line which clean the nozzle.
  2. Does some G-Code can be made at the end of the print to also clean the nozzle (retraction ?)
  3. Since the ZIM is a dual extruder, I think we have top specify in Simplify3D the distance between the two extruders in X and Y. Does anyone have the accurate specifications?

Thank you!

• switch to relative mode
  • G1 E150 F100
  • switch to absolute mode again
  • pretty the same as above but with a negative E value
1 Like

Anyone else having issue with the original zeepro webcam on Octopi? My webcam image is intermittently replaced with a broken image icon in the octopi interface.

No problems here, on 2 Zims… You might want to double check your pi power supply provides sufficient current.

Yes, had the same Issue, but switching to another USB Port solved it. Seems to be some small driver issue. It´s also important to have the Cam connected before powering up.
If this won´t help, try reflashing your SD-Card (maybe a corrupt file on your card?)