Melted fan duct

It turns out that printing ABS at 225 without running the fan is more than the zim can handle.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEiSQYdmtwlWDJCMVh5T0MwQTQ/view?usp=sharing

So far I’ve printed ABS once at 235 (dual extrusion with PLA) and I didn’t had any problem.
I guess you are using a heated printbed (I didn’t)?

Indeed i was. Didn’t think that would melt the fan duct though.

You can print your own fan duct - but use ABS not PLA - and glue it togehter!

(maybe you have to rotate the parts to avoid support material!)

In some machines the fan duct is really near the heaterblock and can easily melt it is not the heater bed that melted the fan duct.
The original design is really to near heater bed.

My fan duct warped using only PLA and melted immediatly after my first ABS attempt with 240°, without heatbed.
I did replace it with the original one that KingMartin sliced in half and it survives only with a lot of blue tape attached to it, as it warps as well.
It seems I need to use HTPLA, but that is too expensive for me and too difficult to print and I would only need a small amount for this one part.

hmmm - If I would have more time I would create a template to cut this piece using a 0,5mm Aluminium plate and fold it :disappointed:

A sheet of Aluminium would be cheap and together with the template to cut ( + a guide to fold) it would solve all the problems with warping and melting

I would be first in line to buy :smile:

Ok - than I will start to create a metal fan outlet just after repairing my xBot today :wink:

Will release a pdf which you can glue on a sheet of metal to cut and bend your own fan outlet.

1 Like

I drew up the original fan duct. (Based on my melted one so it might not be perfect) I’m going to try and print it out of ABS then coat it in a high temperature epoxy to give the ABS strength at elevated temperatures. I posted both the .STL files along with the original CAD files.

1 Like

Nice!
Would it be possible to get the Solidworks files for your design?
I got the original files (stl) from Zeepro: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:987981

EDIT: you already uploaded them on Thingiverse - thanks! :grinning:

No problem. Let me know if printing this works for you. I’m going to try it once I get some time after the holidays.

FYI the duct I uploaded is backwards. I will try and fix it and upload a fixed version this week some time.

(I got mine printed and realized it was backwards as I was cleaning up the print)
Uploaded a mirrored part that should be correct.

I did my own ABS blower replacement parts.