Jailbreaking ZIM after Zeepro stopped it´s services?

I’m relieved to see your success in using Nightmare’s solution to using the ZIM without installing a RasPi board.
Based on your post I think I’ll skip the RasPi option for now, and instead modify the SDCard and buy Simplify3D.

Can you please clarify a few things:

1. Did you need to do anything aside from editing the SD card,
  2. How do you connect to your ZIM (cable or Wifi)
  3. Are you using a ZIM with one or two extruders ?
  4. Did you face any implementation issues worth mentioning ?
  5. What software did you use to EDIT the SD card?

This is awesome, thanks for the solution.
So far, my Zeepro is an expensive brick.

Can you please clarify a few things:

1. Did you need to do anything aside from editing the SD card?
  2. Do you connect to your ZIM with a cable or Wifi?
  3. Are you using a ZIM with one or two extruders, if 2 any issues printing with both?
  4. Did you face any other issues after editing the SD card ?
  5. What software did you use to EDIT the SD card?

I also asked these question to heiura, but I think worth asking twice to understand if different third party for gcode software caused any issues.

Thanks again.

Hello,

I use the ZIM with the USB cable and Simplify3D for slicing and printer control. The prints have far better quality than with the zeepro slicer. The filament is driven into the ZIM from the top to avoid the issues with the original bottom feeder.
I didn’t edit the SD Card and it works fine.
My ZIM have two extruders but I used only one for moment.
It took a little time to find the right settings in Simply 3D but the software is very easy to use. The fan speed must be reduced to reach the given temperature.
Simplify3D is very useful for supports structures building.
I hope it could help.
Regards.

Thanks you for the response.

If you don’t mind, I have two more questions:

1. Your earlier posts stated: “thanks” for the jailbreak solution" & “Thanks to the forum your ZIM is working with Simplify 3d”.

2. So, to “Jail break” are you using the test address: http://zim.local/test_production ?
    or another solution

3. Your reply from yesterday states your using the S3D for slice and printer control.
    2a) Does this mean your are controlling everything from S3D without having to use the the ZIM interface software to upload files ? (this would be awesome)
    Or
    2b) Are you slicing in S3D and uploading the file through the ZIM file upload feature?

I apologize if I’m being slow about this; the possibility of using S3D for everything sounds too good to be true, and I am unclear on how this could be done by using the “test_production” page as a solution.

Hello,

I didn’t use the Jailbreak solution. I thought it was a good option after having damaged the USB port trying to get the plastic plug off, but finally I could have it replaced.
I plugged the printer, and installed the driver as described by 3DprintEvangelist in the forum.
Yes I use S3D for both slicing and printer control. I don’t use the ZIM interface anymore.
The Rasberry Pi - octoprint option described in the forum sounds good too but as I am not technical and I don’t really need a wifi printer I preferred keep it simple and use the USB option.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Zim’s and accessories for sale

Hello,

I managed to find an easier way to login in the zim : the root password is a concatenation of a location and a year, related to the days when some brave kickstarter bakers were invited to visit the Zim factory in Shenzhen, in the district of Longgang, in 2014.

So it’s shenzhen2014 or longgang2014 or what?

1 Like

Here is the latest version of OctoPrint. It’s built for running on the A10 board:

The build log is here: https://travis-ci.org/Jaesin/OctoPrint/jobs/117086489

2 Likes

Do you have a how to on setting this up on the Zim? Do I start with your rooted Zim Firmware? Sorry this sounds interesting but I’m not 100% on how to make this work using the A10 Board.

The instructions are in the release. Basically extract to /usr/local/share/oprint in your rooted firmware. Please read the release notes on how to configure auto starting the service.

I might create a debian package for it when I get time.

hi Pesadilla , I get my own Zeepro today and for my surprice , the website is off line , how do to turn on the Zeepro

my E-mail is vgarcia@cncmanufacturing-usa.com

please help me

Thanks

Hello,

There are lot of topics explaining how to bypass the registration step on the ZIM

the easyiest way is to connect using http://zim.local/test_production and the ZIM start working normally

Cheers

I can’t acces with this page http://zim.local/test_production , how do this operation , I am looking some information to start with the ZIM …

Please Give more Info

thanks

If you want to use the Zim software then the url Nightmare provided is the way to go. Follow the setup steps in the directions that came with your zim. Basically turn your Zim on, it creates its own wifi network, called something like Zim Initialization, connect to that network and then go to the URL 10.0.0.1. On this screen connect your zim to your wifi network, it will connect but then fail to continue through the process. At this point your Zim will be connected to your wifi network. Then you can go to http://zim.local/test_production to access your zim. You will have to use this url every time. If this doesn’t help search through the forums. All the information is here.

1 Like

hello, i am new here and also trying to get my mew zeepro working, but cant seem to get the url working

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In fact, there are two major ways to get your ZIM running:

1. @Nightmare and @Jaesin have found a way to manipulate the software of your ZIM to make it work,

2. others like @BDub and @jpod (and me) took their Machine apart and use a Raspberry Pi to print.

Both ways work fine, and although I´m one the RasPi-users, I would recommend you to try the leave-your-hardware-original way. You can still switch to a RasPi if you don´t like the standard software.

So, maybe @Nightmare or @Jaesin could make some step-by-step manual how to install the jailbroken software (best with links where to get it) and convert a factrory ZIM to a printing one.

Rooting a zim without loading a custom firmware:

Firmware upgrading instructions:

http://zeeproforums.technobly.com/t/new-firmware-broke-my-zim/126u=jaesin

Rooted firmware:

Thread: Back up firmware
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5wtsdodzb8fx0th/AAC6toltJeEUgWt2ruCGM75la?dl=0

Look for Sure OK - zim_rooted-v1.8.4-20150617.img.zip

@Jaesin thanks

there are also sme old solutions written previously it was an easy way to jailbreak the ZIM.

Ok Guys, I have got the same problem and after serching I found a way to “jailbreak” the ZIM

As the Zeepro servers seems to be down you cannot register the ZIM and cannot access the Zim interface. (locked on the register page)I started searching and found that you need to remove a file on the SDCARD. You need to get a software to be able to read the ext2 file format (Linux file format) get into the folder conf located on the root of the sdcard and remove the NeedActive.tmp file Plug back the sdcard in the machine and power on.

That’s all falks ^^

The SECOND solution is that somebody gave Zeepro root password. so you can connect SSH to the Zim using this root password and go to the folder /sdcard and delete the NeedActive.tmp file
I forgot the rootpassword but it is given somewhere in this site.

thanks guys for the help and all the info, will give it a try, i got the plug out of the usb (looks ugly) and works, but will try to root also, would love to get that working