Fan causing left extruder to drop by 30 degrees

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I noticed that the fan was causing the left extruder temp to drop drastically. Oddly enough, I taped off all the ducts and I still had the issue, but to a lesser extent. I then just unplugged the fan, and I haven’t had the issue. Generally, no fan is OK for PETG, my preferred filament, but I have tons of PLA+ that definitely needs a fan. Does anyone have any advice on how to remedy this?

Edit: I should note, this is the left, parts fan, not the fan that is blowing directly on the extruder fins.

You can get a 130ma or thereabouts 40mm blower for a couple bucks. I think you can turn down the fans in software but i didnt have much luck and just replaced. I didnt need to tape off any witht the smaller fan

Thats a great idea. Thanks!

One more quesiton… Is it a 12v fan?

All fans on zim are 12v. The one below the ramps board included. And that one too could be tuned down. A 15mm fits with mods else its 10mmx80mm. Its loud

1 Like

One more question, off topic… Is it ok to use a razor blade to scrape glue off the glass bed? It has that textured surface, and I didn’t know if the blade would mar it.

What kind of glue is it? If it’s the Elmers (or similar), that stuff is water soluble.

The glass can be scraped with a blade, but yeah, it’ll potentially mar if the blade digs in.

1 Like

It is Elmers. I feel silly for not thinking about it being water soluble!

I found my issue. The fan duct is melted on the inside causing air to leak around the hot end. Bleh.