Extrude stepper motor stop mid print

Hey guys, I am back.

Lately I noticed my ZeePro extruder stepper motor stops half way while undertaking some larger prints. The other motors are still working hard, but just printing air.

I am using simplify3D to slice, and transferring the G-code to Octoprint, I also tried to slice with slic3r to see if it was a g-code problem… the print still stop midway.

Have anybody encounter this?

Most prints that takes 1-2 hours are okay, I noticed it on larger prints (3 hours or more).

When I noticed it is printing air, I stop it and try extruding some filament, doesn’t work. but after I restart OctoPrint and ZimBoard the motor extrude again.

:frowning:

Thanks in advance~

Most likely I would say are the following two things:
1.) your thermistor is defective: mine was reading the temperature wrong sometimes but never at room temperature so no way to discover that: changed the thermistor and everything is fine again
2.) broken cable or bad connection: had a bad connection of a pin on the top cable just under the white bridge which holds the cable in place at the head. @3DPrintEvangelist also had a defective (broken) cable where also the printer stopped to extrude mid print

Its because of posts like this one that im 100% sure that it Will take years before a 3d printer becomes “consumer grade”… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the Reply guys.
Stepper motor stopping midway is indeed odd
Skeptical that it is bad wire connection… since restarting the Zimboard will make it work again.
And the temperature looks good monitoring from octopi

I am slicing with SImplify3D
Same G-file only with temperature difference hangs the PLA printer but not the one printing ABS. Leaves me thinking it is probably hardware problem; however… I am noticing, it has only happened on some of the STL I got from Thingiverse. I haven’t have any of the other parts that I make myself from Solidworks resulted in extruder stepper hang. Very odd!