Completely replace the hot end / head

Thanks for your work - nice! :clap:

but: WHY have you ordered 4 ZIMs??

I had one that I originally ordered from Zeepro the other three were purchased for 150 bucks each (free shipping) on ebay. That was too cheap to pass up, and I have no patience so having multiple printers makes jobs with lots of pieces go faster. All in all the Zim is a decent printer and can produce decent prints.

I also have a Lulzbot Mini (great little machine), my next printer would be the Prusa I3 MK2, if I ever need a new one.

1 Like

Is it ok to print the Adjustable layer fan parts in PLA or does it have to be ABS?

very nice! any plans to add the 2nd extruder or are you leaving it a single to cut down on weight?

That is what I used and so far it’s been ok. I will eventually reprint in ABS.

I’m not positive that two would fit this way. For dual extrusion the solution Dgbrit came up with seems really good.

Thanks for being tolerant of all my questions. that said, did you end up using the brass extender that he did as well? you didn’t mention it in this build so i wanted to confirm before I placed the order.

I found that I did not need it using the hot end I ordered. I ordered this:

however the threads did not seem to match up so this might not have been the correct part.

My thinking now is that I could probably use a throat piece and a few M6 nuts to extend it down if I needed to, but so far it works and reaches the bed without the brass adapter.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this yet but was thinking a bit this week about trying to take my custom hot ends (http://www.bfastr.com/shop/product/heater-blocks-special-97?category=5) that I have lying around, discussed here: Custom hot ends for the Zim

Installing these and then still doing the Bowden style setup for the extruder motors (I am NOT a fan of the direct feed setup done by Zeepro). This would allow me to use the open source nozzles the existing fan system and achieve the same end result I was looking for.

cool. ordered the two hot ends for future installation. I think looking at them i know why they are long enough without the adaptor; the nozzles they show in the photo are much longer than the standard e3d v6 style

Would two E3Ds fit or is the heatsink to large?

Yes I’m working on it now just watiting for parts

hey cal, did you end up having to change the thermistor setting in the eeprom or is the one that comes with that hot end a direct replacement?

It worked right out of the box for me. No changes needed.

1 Like

I attempted to put the v5 hot end on as you showed here and when i tighten it down, it isn’t quite square. how did you remedy that

I honestly didn’t have to do anything, mine sat flush and square. Maybe it was due to my hot end being a knock off? Can you post a pic?

my NEMA 17 (for Bowden) has the 4 colored wires, pretty sure theyre standard. Red, Black, Blue, Green. I know that R/B and B/G are paired together so which of the 4 wires on the stock connector are paired together?

so ive mounted my Bowden on the frame of my Zim and i think its correct. I also ordered and assembled the Adjustable E3D V6 / Volcano Layer fan off of Thingverse. The only problem is that my fans off of the original head are way too small so i have to order a new one off Amazon. here are the pics so far:

IMG_4920IMG_4925IMG_4923IMG_4922IMG_4924IMG_4921

hopefully someone is still watching these posts.

3 Likes

not worth the efforts as you can buy a new printer for the cost of the parts & time

eventually ill build one from scratch. using the framework of the zim took a lot of hard work out of the build. if i ever get another zim, ill probably leave it alone and just do the USB port thing, and replace the cubie with rasp pi.
im enjoying the build