Zim Slicer and Software

What is the status of any Zim software or web interface that will be used with the released hardware?
Can we get a preview of it?
Does it include it’s own slicer?
Does it include software to set the multi-material models, like the Replicator?
There is a lot to the software end of this machine that I am not finding much information about. The hardware looks great, but the software will be key to the widespread success (or frustration) of this project.

Thanks - Mike

1 Like

I’ve been asking about this as well. I’d love to try it out, or at least know what it’s based on… @ZeeproMH any info for us? Thanks!

I second all the questions of the original poster.
Thank you for the answers !
If you can’t answer publicly, maybe a Kickstarter update about this topic could be reassuring.

@mikehenryoc
Mike, please find answers below - apologies for the delayed response, its quite hectic here in China at the moment. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me/us.

Can we get a preview of it?

Not for the moment, the software part is still under heavy development.

But basically, the Zim will come with:

• a communication manager between the microcontroler and the embedded computer
  • the open source Slic3r slicer
  • a network management letting the printer to be connected with Wifi or ethernet wire, from inside the local network and from outside through a rendez-vous servers
  • a responsive website for the Zim can be used from any html browser
  • a web service allowing managing the Zim by native applications for iOS and Android (still under development)

Does it include it’s own slicer?

Yes (see above).

Does it include software to set the multi-material models, like the Replicator?

Yes, Slic3r manage natively dual extrusion.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @ZeeproMH! I encourage the Zeepro Team to lean on your backers for Beta testing the various software packages and web services… I’m sure there are plenty of us that could provide feedback in a constructive manner without “trash talking” the software on the internet as well. I for one would be willing to keep all feedback private if requested.

@BDub - unfortunataly that is not possible at this stage.

Ok, let us know when we can get our grubby little hands on anything! :slight_smile:

It looks like the slicing options they have is identical to Slic3r. Slicer has had a recent update with 3D honeycomb, any chance of getting this added in?

[EDIT]
{not sure if this warrants a new post or not)

I’m not caring for the slicer setting interface for a couple reasons.

1)-When you go through and want to change a setting for a individual print you have to form an entire new slicer setting that is saved indefinitely (you can have it copy everything from a pre-existing so you dont have to do to much)
2)- when you go through and do change a slicer setting it doesn’t return to the current printing process, you have to go through the import model menu, (you can select the use previous model so you don’t have to search the file again)

I think the following changes should be made in my opinion.

1. allow certain options to be accessed through the slicer selection menu, I think the following options would be sufficient
    -infill percentage/type
    -support material angle/off
    -# of rafts
    ^I would like to be able to change these options per print, without having to go through and save a whole new preset to do just one print, that id later have to delete or end up having 50 different presets.

These could maybe be made into subsets for the presets.

For example, youd have 2 drop down menus, first one would be the main print category. the second the preset subset print details kind of like below

Fast
10%Honey+45*Sup-Raft
50%Rect-Sup+10Raft
0%Rect-Sup-Raft
HighQuality

Standard

1. make it go back to the model prep menu when done if initiated from the model prep menu. (with the model you had already loaded)