Shifting from proprietary nozzle to 6mm throat and nozzle. Hypothetically

So I ordered a zim off of ebay a few days ago, it has yet to arrive, but I’ve been browsing these forums. I ran across the thread where 6mm nozzles are being manufactured and sold, my frugality got me thinking on an easier solution, I was hoping someone could either tell me its a feasible idea, or if I’m simply wrong. Here it is. Since the proprietary block has a hole larger than 6mm, is making an adaptor with a lip that fills the space converting the hole to 6mm not only cheaper to produce but also easier to install? I’ll include some drawings of my idea when I get a closer look at the aluminum block

You can buy those M6 threaded blocks from a user here or make an adapter as you mentioned.
It’s not an averager thread (at least not for an European :slight_smile: ): As far as I can remember it’s a non standard pipe thread: so I would have a look at a hardware store if a pipe-end-plug would fit and be usable to adapt your needs.

The school I go to has access to CNC machines, I should be able to design an adaptor out of aluminum

The idea of an adapter for the Zim nozzle is not a new one. It’s been discussed here in depth. The Zim is a defunct printer. Parts are no longer made, nor will they ever be. The issue you have to consider when weighing the options with regard to replacement parts is with regard to the heat block itself. While it’s true that there is an individual here selling replicas of the proprietary nozzle, if the heat block should suffer damage or fail, it can’t be replaced. It is for this reason that we decided to make a hot end which included a heat block which accepts standard nozzles and throat pieces. The replacement part standardizes the Zim and eliminates concern with regard to a potential hot end failure.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for the idividual selling replicas ^^

The original design of the nozzle is really interesting and honestly, when correctly handled with good filament there is no issues. modifing the original nozzle to place a 6mm nozzle at the end is not a good idea at all. In this case you should directly by Isomnia friends standardised hot end and go directly to the reprap global idea. of standardised parts.

You can find the original hor ends and nozzles or Reprap like parts. trying to develop one more solution may be a waste of time.