Power supply unstable

Heya!

So I just setup a second Zeepro Dual Extruder, and I noticed the platform lights were flickering. Upon listening to the power supply, I can hear that it’s making some, uh, “lightning” noises, which makes me think it’s not long for this world. I’d like to find a good / better replacement, but the closest thing I found at a reasonable price (Mouser, $50) has a 15 week lead time. There’s one on Amazon but it’s overpriced $80. Any suggestions / alternatives that people have found?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=GST160A12-R7Bvirtualkey63430000virtualkey709-GST160A12-R7B

Thanks,
David

Since it’s 12V and high current, the special DIN4 connector is not going to help locate a drop in replacement supply. It might be worth considering a different supply with a standard DC barrel jack on it, and splicing the old cable onto the new supply. Another possibly free method would be to use an old PC power supply; those usually have really high current 12V outputs. One downside to having more current available than the old supply could put out is that if there is a failure in the Zim, the supply can dump a lot more current into that failure. I remember some 11A PTC fuses on the Zimboard though, so there is extra protection in there already. I just don’t remember if there is any way a failure could get around those fuses.

1 Like

FYI, an XBOX360 power supply is 12V 14.2A (at least the 203W version is) … here’s how to enable it:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

Apparently Mouser just got a bunch in stock:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/GST160A12-R7B/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugVNZ98u%2bnb6D6VPVD%2FRNl46WbT7WEp2XhzMbzJ8aYlPQJ1t13pxKIO

was not expecting those for months and months, hopefully this part is a drop-in replacement :slight_smile:

$50 + shipping is not bad if you don’t want to hack and solder, but if you are comfortable with soldering there are lots of options to repair your power supply for a lot less. I wish I could do it and prove that it’s reliable though. If you end up going the Mouser route… bring your dead supply with the next time we meet up and I’ll be glad to create another replacement for you with it :wink:

1 Like