I solved my Z wobble!

I have changed all the Z axis stepper/screw system
no more issues with te original f…g nut and the coupler

1 Like

what is the best method for removing the z assembly? I have one of these steppers with the incorporated screw spare from a junk printer. if its not too bad i can do it now while I’m rebuilding the hot end. how long does the screw need to be from output of the motor to tip?

The best way ::

1- to lay down the ZIM
2- Open the base plate
3- disconnect the Z axis stepper ribbon cable.
4- Remove the Gantry (X,Y mechanism)
You can remove the Gantry without disconnecting the cables.

5- Slide out the Z-Axis and replace it.

Be carefull The screw is a 2mm per turn (this is not common)

How can I tell if the extras i have are 2mm/turn?

Look at the top of your leadscrew. A single start screw (2mm per turn) will have only one thread. A four start screw (8mm per turn) will have four distinct threads when viewed from the top.

thank you, still learning so i appreciate your help.

@Nightmare

So am I reading it right that the linked motor w/threaded rod won’t work because it’s an 8mm/turn instead of the 2mm/turn? And if so, would this one work in it’s place? http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-17-unipolar-external-linear-stepper-motor-antibacklash-screw-nut-300mm-t8-x-2-p-230.html

You can use any motor/leadscrew combo you want as long as the nut matches the new screw pitch and size wise is a drop in replacement for the old nut. The screw I used is of a different pitch as the stock screw, but I had to replace the nut anyway so it didn’t matter. If you use a different pitch you also have to update your Z steps in eeprom, but that’s super easy. Your link doesn’t look like it’ll work. You also probably want a bipolar stepper.

1 Like

Is the resolution loss moving from a 2mm to a 8mm per turn inconsequential?

With microstepping, I’m of the opinion that yes, it’s inconsequential.

@Ace_Archer this one could work (stepper and screw) but it wont work for the nut.

@etxbkst the main issue on the Zim Z axis is due to the nut. the nut have been badly manufactured. the nut thread is not perpendicular to the nut fixture so you get wobble. If you take a look to the nut fixture you will see a O-ring between the nut and the Z-axis. this O-ring have been added to try to reduce the wobble. without the O-ring the wobble is so important that the stepper force and loose some steps.

@etxbkst on the Zim microstepping is ennabled the FW have been designed to support the 2mm per turn screw. If you use a 8mm you will have some troubles :slight_smile:

Huh. I don’t remember mine having an o-ring. Maybe that’s why mine was so terrible. And are you telling me you can’t alter your steps per on your machine? I’m running the 4 start screw with no issues after updating M92.

1 Like

Yes you can change the steps using M92. But in case of the Original ZIM that handles the slicing you can’t.
I use an original Zim and generaly I use the internal slicer. so I prefer keep the genuine parts
the 2mm per turn screw is more precise and there is no risk of the Z axis sling down with the inertia when the machine is powered off :slight_smile:

I also solved Z-wobble.
This forum helped me so much.
Really appreciate.

I will share my case.

There’s another issue I found, it is pause and go sometimes.
Need to troubleshoot why it happens.
I hope someone know about it.

1 Like

If you want to really improve the Z Wobble you should change the motor/coupler/screw and use a NEMA 17stepper with integrated 2mm/turn screw NEMA17

The original screw was really a badly manufactured part. This is why we had to put a Oring. ( the O-ring was to enable the screw to wobble. else the strepper was not able to turn.

If you impement a good quality nema17 with a 2mm per revolution screw your print quality will seriously increase

Thank you for comment.
I will try to find that screw with motor.
For now, I am satisfied.

Regarding “pause and go” problem, decided to replace 8bit board to 32bit.
Just my trying, still ongoing setup work, slow progress due to caring my child.

Now up and running with 32bit board.
Stepper motors move smooth and quiet.
Although still not enough testing, seems no more “pause and go” problem anymore.

Is anyone interested in 32bit modification ?
If so, I will post how I did modification.
I use Bigtreetech SKR pro v1.2 and TMC2209 stepper driver.

2 Likes

Sure, would love to see what you’ve done!

My case of 32bit upgrade

Thank you for your comment.
Please check link if you are interested.

2 Likes