First prints from Zim

I had a bunch of jams, but finally got my printer printing out of one extruder. The Make Bot was a bit of a concern, as the second extruder was dragging over the output from the first and lifting the layers. The extruding output was adjusted slightly lower than the dragging one also, so it should not have dragged. I’m not sure the dual extruder config is going to work all that well. The print would have been much cleaner with a single nozzle.

The gearbox I made the mistake of scaling, and the threads didn’t fit together, otherwise it came out pretty well.

Vertical Test
Make Bot 1
Make Bot 2
Make Bot Standing
Ornament
Ornament
Cable Guide
Gearbox

Added Make torture tests with two different kinds of PLA. Custom preset based on standard quality, with 20% infill, fan on auto, no supports. I lost the arch stiction on both, otherwise I’m convinced the arch would have succeeded:
Make Torture White Zeepro PLA
Make Torture 2 White Zeepro PLA
Make Torture Red Hatchbox PLA
Make Torture 2 Red Hatcbox PLA

1 Like

Wow, the vertical test is nice! I wouldn’t have even thought that would turn out so well. I was thinking the second extruder dragging was an issue as well… but part of the problem can come from if both of your extruders are not at the exact same height. When you go to level the bed, level with whichever one sticks down the furthest. You should be able to tell one of them is lower. This should be done when both extruders are heated up as well. There is a test menu where you can turn things on manually that’s a really big help. http://zim/pronterface

Once you have the lower nozzle leveled… go back and unscrew the higher one until it’s at the same height as the first one you leveled. You probably don’t need to turn it more than 1/8th of a turn. Using a piece of paper, it should have very slight friction… not tight or loose.

If that doesn’t get you printing super smooth, and you really want to bail back to one color prints… you can completely remove one nozzle and it will be out of the way for sure :smile: Not ideal, but better than living with crummy prints.