Accidentally wiped out sdcard

Hi all, in upgrading the firmware to 1.2 on the A10 board, I accidentally wiped out the filesystem on the sdcard. I’ve worked with embedded linux boards enough, I just thought the update was a new disk image to the file system and wrote it directly to the sdcard from the machine. I then got to that last step that says, “now insert the old sd card” and realized it is just a bootloader image and not the filesystem. I have a support ticket in, but was wondering if anyone had made a backup of that sdcard you could zip up and send my way?

Is there a reason you were using the manual update process? Did you have one of the first beta units? When I upgraded to 1.2 I just used the built in updater and everything went fine.

Zeepro should be the ones to provide you a fix for this. Otherwise, I’m sure someone here could help you out.

I have a support ticket in, but no response from Zeepro as of yet. Thanks for the info on the updater, I didn’t even see that in the software. I had been running the Zim for several hours, and it didn’t update on it’s own. I thought I had checked some box saying “automatic update” or some such thing in one of the menus. I guess I figured it was required to manually update given the support page on the subject, or I was impatient (or probably both, that’s probably why I missed the step in the update saying set the original sdcard aside and didn’t think to back it up). Anyway, it’s working pretty well as a paper weight at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully Zeepro will respond to the ticket and send me an sdcard image.

I received a response from Pierre at Zeepro. The image is generated during the manufacturing process. It sounds as if the sdcard contains some serialized data, like a MAC address or serial number. They are going to make-up a new image for me next week.

Good to know. It would be nice to have a backup of that sort of thing, or a way to create a new one without needing zeepro to do it.

Zeepro uploaded the sdcard image to the firmware location today. Turns out it is just a blank image. After reading about the Cubieboard, I believe it looks at the card and if it can’t boot from there, it looks to boot from nand flash, so the entire file system is in nand and the sdcard is sort of extraneous. Anyway, if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, just upload the blank image and you are good to go.

It probably would work if you just removed the sdcard and turned it on, but I never tried that.